Friday, January 26, 2007

Hidden Gems # 7













Yes


About a year ago I really wanted to investigate Prog music, I bought Ultimate Yes from a market in Huddersfield. I was expecting it to be ok, but when I listened to the first few songs on this collection I was completely blown away. I wasnt expecting too much as Yes were one of the more popular prog bands of the 70's but this music completely changed my original views, the music is inventive and completely original. Its music that is so crazy that very few bands would be able to replicate this kind of sound. It merges elements of funk, jazz, pop and rock together and the musicianship is unbelieveable.

This music takes you on a journey, songs like Starship Trooper is nine minutes of genius, this isnt music that your Dad should be locked away to enjoy whilst smoking a pipe and dreaming of the olden days where Razorlight didnt exist and you couldnt get a hit single by remixing Pink Floyd with the invention and imagination of a toddler.

Im not as keen on Yes's later material which is a but more pop, owner of a lonely heart being the best known example.

I only paid a fiver for this album and it is definately worth that and more, so if you want to treat yourself to something a bit special give this one a go, then again "Grace Kelly" by Mika is out next week, hmmm.

MP3: Starship Trooper

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I wish Mika was more like Grace Kelly, but there simply aren't enough automobile accidents on the roads these-days.
Thank very much Green-Cross-Code-Man and Volo for making the world a much slower and boring'er place!

 
Music Blogs - Blog Top Sites Music Provided by IODA Promonet Blog Directory